Fire breaks out at Indian embassy in Harare

By Staff Reporter

THE Indian Embassy in Harare Monday caught fire but the inferno was put out before it could cause a lot of damage to the building.

Indian ambassador to Zimbabwe, Rangsung Masakui confirmed this but was quick to play down the incident.

Masakui said the fire only caused damage in the Accounts office of the embassy building while there were no casualties.

“I was alerted by one of the employees in the Accounts department at around 0830hours that there was fire in the Accounts office,” he told the media Monday.

Ambassador Masakui said the incident was not anything serious, adding, “We think it could have been an electrical fault, already there are plans to fix the problem.”

The mishap was the second fire incident involving a prominent building in Harare inside a week.

Last week, traders lost property worth thousands of dollars after a fire gutted a city shopping mall in Harare’s CBD.

Staff Reporter

The author Staff Reporter