Dynamos beat Bulawayo City to end winless streak

By Sports Reporter

STRUGGLING giants Dynamos finally ended their winless streak with a hard-fought 2-1 victory over visiting Bulawayo City in a drama field Castle Lager Premier Soccer League encounter played at Rufaro Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Goals by James Marufu after 72 minutes and Blessing Moyo seven minutes later ensured the troubled premiership giants collected their first set of points in eight attempts in the current premiership race.

After playing second fiddle to a wasteful Bulawayo City in the first half, Dynamos put up a gritty second half display to see off their stubborn visitors.

The former champions survived an early scare when Bulawayo City were awarded a penalty moments from kick-off but Ishmael Wadi crashed the effort against the cross-car to allow the hosts to breathe.

The real drama came in the second period when the fans were treated to a three goal shoot-out all in a spell of seven minutes.

Marufu was first to find the net after 72 minutes but the celebrations were short-lived when Crispen Ncube equalised a minute later for the visitors.

Moyo was the hero of the afternoon when he struck after 79 minutes to restore Dynamos’ slender lead.

The victory by the Harare side sparked wild scenes of celebration among its fans who had waited an agonising eight weeks to finally see a win by their team.

City took the long trip to Bulawayo kicking themselves in the teeth for squandering a glut of chances that fell their way especially in the first half.

Dynamos went into the Sunday encounter anchoring the 18 team log with only 3 points from 7 matches.

With the victory, they now climb two places up the ladder to number 16. They share the same points tally with Prophet Walter Magaya’s Yadah who are on 7 points but have a better goal difference.

The victory was a welcome relief for embattled Dembare coach Lloyd Mutasa who is battling to save his job after being given an ultimatum by his employers to bag the next 9 points from three matches or face the chop.

In another encounter played on Sunday, Triangle shot down Air Force side, Chapungu 3-0 in a match played at Gibbo Stadium.

Goals by Derrick Murimba, Phineas Bamusi and Lameck Nhamo gave the sugar sugar boys the sweet victory.

Triangle climb to position 4, having gone into Sunday’s encounter on number 6.

Staff Reporter

The author Staff Reporter

Leave a Response