close

Cholera update: 30 dead so far, 21 percent are children, says Minister

By Staff Reporter

GOVERNMENT says the current cholera outbreak has killed atleast 30 people with 21 percent of the fatalities being children of 5 and below.

This was announced by Local Government Minister July Moyo during a Monday event in Harare to formally appeal for anti-cholera assistance among local and international aid agencies.

“As of yesterday (Sunday), we had confirmed 30 deaths here in Harare and as I said there are other casualties that have taken place throughout Zimbabwe.

“Those outside Harare have been people who have been to Budiriro and Glen View (suburbs) and we are able to say it’s the same causal effect,” said Minister Moyo, adding that the number of suspected cases of cholera was now at 5 463 countrywide.

With the seriousness of the scourge, Minister Moyo said, government projected up to 10 000 people are likely to be infected.

The Minister said there were more cases reported in Manicaland, Mashonaland East, Mashonaland Central, Midlands and Masvingo although it remained intense in Harare which has accounted for nearly all the fatalities.

The Minister described the loss of lives as “worrisome and unacceptable”.

Tags : 21 percent30 deadcholeraJuly Moyo
Staff Reporter

The author Staff Reporter

Leave a Response