Chamisa vows to hold his Agenda 2020 event despite continued police ban
By Staff Reporter
MDC leader Nelson Chamisa has vowed to proceed with his State of the Nation Address to followers should the state ban the event again.
This, he said on Twitter following a police ban on the event which the opposition chief had set for this Wednesday.
“ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. We’ve exhausted all channels. We can’t continue to be victims of unjust application of the law. Rights are for all. On Tuesday 21st Jan we will deliver the people’s Agenda 2020 to the nation come what may.#peoplesgovernment,” Chamisa said.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.We’ve exhausted all channels.We can't continue to be victims of unjust application of the law.Rights are for all.On Tuesday 21st Jan we will deliver the people’s Agenda 2020 to the nation come what may.#peoplesgovernment
— nelson chamisa (@nelsonchamisa) January 15, 2020
Police on Tuesday issued a ban on Chamisa’s event which the MDC leader had planned for Mai Musodzi Hall in Harare’s Mbare suburb.
Police said they were called to issue the ban as they were short of manpower to cover the potentially chaotic event.
The law enforcement agents said they had deployed a lot of their officers for the current schools opening period.
The controversial police move, which comes after several MDC events were banned last year for one reason or another.
The Tuesday ban by police elicited a strong reaction from MDC deputy national spokesperson Luke Tamborinyoka who accused police of treating the main opposition as a terrorist organisation.
“We are noting a disturbing trend where the police are routinely proscribing MDC events and treating the party as a banned organisation in the country.
“We continue to be treated like a banned or a terrorist organisation when we are a legitimate political party that is in Parliament and that controls 28 out of 32 urban local authorities,” Tamborinyoka told journalists in Harare Tuesday.