close

Featured

Chamisa vows to hold his Agenda 2020 event despite continued police ban

By Staff Reporter

MDC leader Nelson Chamisa has vowed to proceed with his State of the Nation Address to followers should the state ban the event again.

This, he said on Twitter following a police ban on the event which the opposition chief had set for this Wednesday.

“ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. We’ve exhausted all channels. We can’t continue to be victims of unjust application of the law. Rights are for all. On Tuesday 21st Jan we will deliver the people’s Agenda 2020 to the nation come what may.#peoplesgovernment,” Chamisa said.

 

Police on Tuesday issued a ban on Chamisa’s event which the MDC leader had planned for Mai Musodzi Hall in Harare’s Mbare suburb.

Police said they were called to issue the ban as they were short of manpower to cover the potentially chaotic event.

The law enforcement agents said they had deployed a lot of their officers for the current schools opening period.

The controversial police move, which comes after several MDC events were banned last year for one reason or another.

The Tuesday ban by police elicited a strong reaction from MDC deputy national spokesperson Luke Tamborinyoka who accused police of treating the main opposition as a terrorist organisation.

“We are noting a disturbing trend where the police are routinely proscribing MDC events and treating the party as a banned organisation in the country.

“We continue to be treated like a banned or a terrorist organisation when we are a legitimate political party that is in Parliament and that controls 28 out of 32 urban local authorities,” Tamborinyoka told journalists in Harare Tuesday.

read more

VP Chiwenga claims wife is a witch, drug addict and mentally unstable

By Staff Reporter

VICE PRESIDENT Constantino Chiwenga has made sensational claims his estranged wife, Marry practised sorcery, was a drug addict and had hallucinations which rendered her mentally unstable.

For those reasons, the VP claimed, the ex-model was wrong candidate to stay with the couple’s children.

Chiwenga was responding to a court suit filed by Marry who claimed her husband abducted the couple’s minor children and also barred her from accessing the Borrowdale, Harare family home upon her release from remand prison recently.

Marry Mubaiwa, is on remand for attempted murder, fraud and money laundering.

The VP claimed his wife performed rituals at his Borrowdale Brooke home and brought in “witch doctors”.

“My clothes in some cases were heaped together and sprayed by applicant with some unknown substances.

“I had to take the children away to cleanse them of memories of the horrors they experienced,” he said.

It was argued that there was medical evidence suggesting Mubaiwa was unfit to take custody of the children.

“The medical affidavit on Page 12 is very clear.

“The doctor concluded that she (Marry) should be under the care of a physician, a surgeon and a psychiatrist.

“It is indicated that she has flashbacks, suffers from lack of sleep and has difficulties in breathing, symptoms of illicit drug abuse.

“Applicant cannot be trusted with children in the circumstances. While she cannot be precluded from being with and seeing the children, the court must balance the scales as there is need for both parents to continuously be with the children in order to ensure an unabused welfare,” he said.

read more

Mnangagwa strengthens bid to ditch Chiwenga

By Staff Reporter

PRESIDENT Emmerson Mnangagwa is pressing ahead with the enactment of a new law set to remove the obligation by future Zimbabwean presidential candidates to select their running mates.

The so-called Constitutional Amendment Bill of 2019 was gazetted Friday after it was recently approved by Cabinet.

Mnangagwa is keen to asset firm control over Zanu PF as a party and that of State presidency.

Critics find Chiwenga an ever-present obstacle to the ambition.

Chiwenga, as then Zimbabwe Defence Forces commander, led the November 2017 coup that removed long-serving President Robert Mugabe, replacing him with Mnangagwa.

The now VP is seen as having ambitions to become the country’s leader at some stage.

Mnangagwa has already declared his interest to remain President beyond the 2023 elections.

The obligation to choose a running mate would see him ordinarily forced to pick Chiwenga, who, if Mnangagwa wins the presidential election again, could remain firmly in the fold to become successor.

The removal of the running mates clause will allow the President-elect to appoint the two Vice Presidents, something that will allow such future leader to hire and fire his deputies without violating any laws.

The 2013 Constitution, through Section 92, had a 10-year transitional clause that provided for the joint election of the President and two running mates selected by the Presidential candidate.

read more

Zim-Zambia search party dispatched to look for missing rangers

By Staff Reporter

A SEARCH party comprising both Zimbabwean and Zambian authorities has been dispatched to comb Lake Kariba with hopes to find two Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority rangers believed to have been attacked and thrown into the water by poachers on New Year’s eve.

ZimParks spokesperson Tinashe Farawo confirmed the search operation Friday but said no headway has been made so far.

“Nothing has come up yet but the whole security apparatus and other stakeholders is on the ground.

“We are working closely with our Zambian counterparts on the matter.”

There were plans also to dispatch helicopters from both neighbours to look for the rangers who went missing with fears they could have died.

Their disappearance followed a battle they had with suspected poachers in the middle Lake Kariba.

The rangers were on patrol in the lake when they caught up with suspected Zambian poachers they immediately apprehended.

There are fears they may have been overpowered by the poachers who could have thrown them into the water in a bid to free themselves (poachers) from the arrests.

The search party comprises Zimparks, the Zimbabwe Republic Police and similar forces from Zambia.

read more

Warriors hitman Knowledge Musona leaves Anderlecht

By Sports Reporter

UNSETTLED Warriors skipper, Knowledge Musona is leaving his club, Anderlecht with reports linking him to a move to another Belgian side Sint-Truiden in the January transfer window.

South African media reports also say that Sundowns are also keen on securing the services of the former Kaizer Chiefs hitman.

Musona has been the leading light in a rejuvenated Zimbabwe National Football team generation that has now made it a habit to qualify for the biennial Africa Cup of Nations after the country had been making many failed attempts since independence.

The deadly striker has seen career fortunes suffer while at Belgian powerhouse Anderlecht‚ where he featured in just eight matches and scored once since a transfer from KV Oostende in July 2018.

He spent the past six months on loan at Lokeren‚ where he played just six league games and scored one goal.

The 29-year-old shooter is exiting the club when he still had two years remaining on his contract.

read more

Magombeyi beaten up on his hospital bed

By Staff Reporter

EMBATTLED doctors’ union leader, Peter Magombeyi (pictured) was on Tuesday physically attacked by an unidentified man in a shock incident that has followed a chaotic 10 day period of his alleged abduction and hospitalisation.

The incident is said to have happened inside a private Harare hospital in which he has been admitted since he emerged from an alleged abduction ordeal last Thursday.

When the media visited Harare’s Avenues Clinic end of business on Tuesday, there were sharp exchanges between Magombeyi’s lawyers and police officers over the incident.

Magombeyi, who claims abduction and torture by unknown persons, was allegedly attacked on his hospital bed and again in the corridor.

The drama happened in the presence of his father who has been on his son’s hospital bed since he got admitted.

As a result of the incident, it is said, the Zimbabwe Hospital Doctors Union acting president sustained injuries on his arm, neck and back.

It was not clear on whether police arrested the attacker, who was rumoured to be a serving police officer.

The incident followed chaotic scenes earlier in the day in which police defied a High Court order barring them from stopping Magombeyi from leaving the hospital upon his discharge.

Lawyers were forced to recommend the readmission of the young doctor in the health facility after police insisted they were acting on orders by their superiors to keep him detained.

Police have besieged the private hospital to prevent Magombeyi from leaving the hospital for advanced treatment in South Africa.

The Zanu PF led government has accused the union leader of faking his abduction while working with enemies to soul its image.

read more

Mugabe death overshadows that of national hero top soldier

The late Trust Mugomba

By Staff Reporter

FORMER army Chief of Staff, Major-General and national hero, Trust Mugoba’s funeral wake has gone on virtually unnoticed by Zimbabweans after all the media attention has focussed on ex-State President Robert Mugabe, who died at 95 last Friday.

Mugomba, who at 60, died 35 years younger than Mugabe, succumbed to ailment after he returned home from Ethiopia where he was serving as Chief of Staff in the office of the Commissioner for Peace and Security in Africa.

Just like Mugabe, Mugomba died on Friday last week.

Even worse is that his burial is set for the national shrine this Wednesday, a day all the attention will be focussing on the arrival of Mugabe’s body from Singapore, where the ext-leader died.

Mugomba’s burial at the national shrine could easily turn out to be a low key event as the local media could be focussing attention at the Robert Gabriel Mugabe International Airport, where Mugabe’s body is expected to arrive.

Since his death, Mugomba’s body has been to his farm in Featherstone, his rural home in Wiltshire while a military parade has also been held in his honour at the ZNA’s One Commando Regiment.

read more

Ex-minister Ndlovu arrested, accused of robbery

By Staff Reporter

OUTSPOKEN former National Healing Minister, Moses Mzila Ndlovu and his two sons were on Monday arrested and detained by police at Figtree on claims of robbery which allegedly occured last Thursday.

This was revealed by 1893 MHRRM Secretary for Information and Publicity Thembani Dube.

“The 1893 MHRRM has been alerted that Moses Mzila Ndlovu and his two sons have been arrested by the Zimbabwean police today (Monday) on trumped up charges of robbery at the Figtree Police station in Matebeleland, Zimbabwe.

“The allegation of robbery, has been made, once more by a poacher that Mzila and his sons found poaching wood in their farm and apprehended and then released,” he said in a statement.

The said poacher later filed a robbery report against the ex-minister and his sons claiming he had been robbed of his cell phone.

“The police then visited Mzila and his sons on Friday the following day, inquiring about the case and Mzila indicated to them that he was due to report the case of poaching in his farm as the incident had happened a day before,” Dube said.

Ndlovu and his sons were then asked by police to report at Figtree police on Monday whereupon they were arrested and detained.

The 1893 MHRRM has secured lawyers for the founding MDC legislator and his co-accused sons.

The lawyers are Nqobile Sithole and Matshobana.

Mzila Ndlovu has had brushes with the Zanu PF led regime through his bold stance in demanding that government should own up to the 1980s Gukurahundi atrocities by the military.

Then Prime Minister Robert Mugabe is accused of presiding over killings which claimed an estimated 20 000 civilians in Matebeleland and Midlands provinces.

Mzila Ndlovu was in the UK recently for the Matebeleland Gukurahundi Genocide Conference arranged by the 1893 MHRRM.

“He spoke strongly about the need for Truth, Justice and Reparations for the Genocide and for a UN International Commission to be set up to investigate the Matebeleland Genocide,” Dube said.

“It would therefore not be surprising that he might be deliberately targeted by the system using other means and ways to get to him. His safety and that of his sons and family is our uttermost concern.”

read more

SA: Sex tap minister resigns for lying

Embattled home affairs minister Malusi Gigaba has resigned.

President Cyril Ramaphosa received Gigaba’s letter of resignation on Tuesday, a day before the president was meant to take action against him after the public protector found that he had violated the constitution and the executive code of ethics when he lied to the court regarding the Fireblade Aviation matter.

‘‘The president has accepted the minister’s resignation and expressed his appreciation for minister Gigaba’s longstanding service to the government and people of SA,’’ the presidency said in a statement.

‘‘Minister Gigaba indicated in his letter of resignation that he was stepping aside for the sake of our country and the movement to which he belongs. And further to relieve the president from undue pressure and allow him to focus on improving the lives of the people of SA and for him to do the best he can to serve the country and save it from this economic meltdown.’’

Difficult two weeks

It has been a difficult two weeks for Gigaba, who saw the Constitutional Court dismissing his application to appeal a judgment that he lied under oath. The matter also related to the Fireblade case.

On October 29, the apex court dismissed Gigaba’s application for leave to appeal, saying it ‘‘bears no prospects of success’’.

This was the fifth blow Gigaba suffered in the courts in relation to this matter. The judgment was handed down two days before public protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane released her findings against him.

Mkhwebane investigated a complaint laid by DA parliamentary chief whip John Steenhuisen after the high court in Pretoria found in December 2017 that Gigaba had told “untruths” under oath in the matter between him (in his capacity as home affairs minister) and the Oppenheimers’ Fireblade Aviation, in a legal battle about operating a private terminal at OR Tambo International Airport.

Mkhwebane said Steenhuisen’s allegation was substantiated and gave Gigaba an opportunity to respond, but he failed to do so.

She then directed Ramaphosa to take appropriate disciplinary action against Gigaba for violating the constitution, the ethics code, and parliament’s own code of ethics.

Fireblade took Gigaba to court in 2016 after he rejected its application to operate a luxury international terminal at OR Tambo International Airport.

The Oppenheimers accused Gigaba of reversing his approval under pressure from the Gupta family, exerted through the former chair of Denel, Daniel Mantsha. Fireblade leases the terminal land from Denel.

Businesslive

read more

Komichi says Tsvangirai death caused by state, vows Chamisa will not accept state protection

By Staff Reporter

MDC Deputy President Morgen Komichi (pictured) has made astounding claims former party President Morgan Tsvangirai’s ailment and resultant death may have been the result of a deliberate plot on his life by the state.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with The Zimbabwe Star on Monday, Komichi said the MDC will not accept any state offers to take over the security of current party President Nelson Chamisa, who claims an assassination plot against him.

Chamisa on Saturday reportedly survived an abduction attempt by armed men the party has linked to state security.

His party says the occurrences were now increasing, adding to fears party enemies could be out to harm the firebrand opposition leader.

Days ahead of the July 2018 elections, Vice President Constantino Chwenga offered state protection on presidential election opponents who felt their lives were not safe.

Except for President Mnangagwa who already enjoyed state protection, there were no takers from the other 22.

Asked if the MDC may finally consider state protection against alleged threats on Chamisa’s life, Komichi was adamant they will never go by that route.

“We know very well that in Zimbabwe, we don’t have terrorism; we don’t have any other organisation which is fighting Zimbabweans. Zimbabweans are being fought by the state,” he said.

“What protection will the state give when it’s the same state that is sending these thugs, the same state that is sending people to go and abduct Itai Dzamara, the same state that is sending people to go and kill Tonderai Ndira, the same people that have been on record for burning people’s homes, abducting, killing and raping people, the same state that is sending people to go and do those heinous acts?.

“What protection will we get from the same state which wants us dead, that wants us arrested; the same state which fights individuals’ freedoms, the state that does not believe in democracy, that is a power monger.

“You will actually be more unsafe if you are given a state agent to move with.”

Komichi said of former MDC leader Tsvangirai who died of a long battle with colon cancer February this year, “Infact, we do believe that the late president (Tsvangirai) actually got the illness from that kind of arrangement.”

When Tsvangirai became Prime Minister in 2009, he was given state security, a government home and similar perks. A month later, he got involved in a horrific car crash which claimed his first wife, Susan.

The MDC’s vows never to accept any protection from the state could also be a strong signal Chamisa may not be at ease with a government plan to amend the constitution and create the office of the opposition leader which also comes with government perks.

read more
1 2 3
Page 1 of 3