close

Showbiz

Chatunga chides Jah Prayzah for failing to endorse Nutty O album

Chatunga-Bellarmine-Mugabe

Zimstar Showbiz

Late former President Robert Mugabe’s son Chatunga Bellarmine Mugabe has cheekily scolded popular musician Jah Prayzah for alleged failure to endorse Nutty O’s new album which the dancehall star released hours earlier Friday.

Nutty O, real name Carrington Simbarashe Chiwadzwa, released his long awaited Mustard Seed, a 13-track compilation and his first album in his promising music career.

RELATED: NUTTY O FINALLY RELEASES FIRST ALBUM

The album has been widely described as a masterpiece as the young, talented artiste took time to flaunt his lyrical prowess.

Using his twitter handle Friday, Chatunga said, “It’s now more than 5 hrs since Nutty O released his album still no sign of Jah Prayzah’s endorsement or congratulatory message have some shame JP.”

But the 24-year-old’s message was received differently among some twitter users who felt Jah Prayzah was under no obligation to be endorsing other musician’s albums.

Entertainment journalist Robert Mukondiwa felt Jay Prayzah had no obligation to comment his one-time protégé’s works.

“Should he though? Does @jahprayzah owe him that congratulatory message?” he said in the Twitter thread.

However, others felt as a big name in the industry, it would be courteous of Jah Prayzah to commend another musician for a good production.

Both Nutty O and Jah Prayzah were once under the Military Touch Movement, a vibrant ensemble that once housed music talents in the form of Andy Muridzo, ExQ, Tahle Wedzinza, Nutty O and producers DJ Tamuka and Daniel Chiweda before they decided to pursue solo careers.

.

 

 

read more

Nutty O finally drops debut album

Nutty O

Zimstar News/Agencies

Super talented dancehall star Nutty O has finally released his much-awaited 13-track debut album dubbed Mustard Seed this Friday, marking a milestone in his highly promising musical career.

In his new project, the chanter, born Carrington Simbarashe Chiwadza features both international and local artists in some of his tracks.

In the song, Demarco, Nutty O features Demarco the dancehall star from Jamaica, and Stonebwoy the Ghananian hitmaker.

As for local collaborations, he only has one on the album. It is a track titled Ready where he featured the Afro-Beats renowned artiste, ExQ AKA Mr. Putiti.

Before the release, there was already a track titled Safe on all streaming platforms.

It was released a year before and has been announced to be the pre-release track. The track “Safe” was released in 2020 and has accumulated over a million views on YouTube so far (September 2021).

read more

WATCH: Kelly Khumalo disses chicks who fight over men

Kelly Khumalo

Singer Kelly Khumalo has slammed women who fight each other for men.

In a video she posted on her Instagram account, Kelly said that women who fought with each other for a cheating man should be ashamed.

The star suggested that if a woman found out that her boyfriend or husband was cheating, she should deal with him and not the person he was cheating with.

“This thing has been irritating me, this thing of women behaving like this is wrong.

“You are stealing my boyfriend, you are stealing my husband, sies! It’s not possible to steal a whole human being.

“Why is it, when you find out that your boyfriend or husband is cheating on you, the first thing you want to do is dog the girl,” she said.

She said instead of being a hypocrite, women should deal with their men.

“Why don’t you dog the man you are sleeping with. Don’t be a hypocrite, he is jumping over you and going to sleep with someone else but you want to dog the other girl, sies,” Kelly said.

The “Empini” hitmaker said if anyone was to come for her and not their boyfriend, she would deal with them.

“I will beat the living daylights out of you not because I am fighting for the man, I am beating the foolishness out of you and when I am finished with you I will go for your husband and beat him too. Just to teach you a lesson,” she said. IOL

READ FROM SOURCE

Watch below:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUEsd-0oZM7/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=dcb0ef25-dc31-475c-96a8-3715033dc314

read more

Twitter buzz as Nadia Nakai’s ex shows off new bae in fresh video

Nadia Nakai and Vic Mensa

American rapper Vic Mensa showing off his new bae in a short clip for his new single “The Taste” left SA tweeps in a state if shock.

In case you missed it, Vic and local rapper Nadia Nakai linked up when he sent her a direct message on Instagram and they later took the conversation to WhatsApp, worked on a song together and then met in Ghana the first time where they shot the music video for “Practice”.

Earlier this year in an interview with Slikour, Nadia spoke of the struggles of being in a long-distance relationship and how they made it work.

“I never would have considered a long-distance relationship if it wasn’t with him. I can never trust him fully because a man is a man … he’s used to not having a sexual relationship with someone for years because he did that at a time in his life where he needed to … I know how hard it is to be in a long-distance relationship and I know that there’s a chance that he might be hooking up with someone else, I must just never find out.

“I feel like our connection has been so strong, and so amazing and so exciting and informative … I like the fact that I’m dating someone from whom I can learn from,” she said.

However, last month the “Bragga“ hitmaker revealed on “Drink Or Tell The Truth” with Lasizwe Dambuza that she and Vic’s relationship had come to an end.

When asked by Lasizwe if she would have kids with her ex-boyfriend, Bandile Mbere of Major League DJz or her current boyfriend Vic Mensa, Nadia said that they had broken up.

“I’d have to say Vic, definitely Vic Mensa,” when asked long they were dating, Nadia replied saying: “We broke up, but it’s fine, it doesn’t matter.”

Since then the “Practice” music video has been either made private or deleted from her YouTube.

The “U Mad“ rapper debuted what many are assuming is his new bae in his ”The Taste” music video featuring BJ The Chicago Kid and Papi Beatz on Wednesday, and South Africans are shook at how quickly he moved on. – IOL

 

read more

SA jazz legend Tsepo Tshola succumbs to Covid-19

Tsepo Tshola

TimesLive

World-renowned jazz musician Tsepo Tshola has died aged 67, TshisaLIVE confirmed on Thursday.

Tshola, who is also known as the “Village Pope”, succumbed to a Covid-19-related illness this morning in Teyateyaneng, Lesotho.

His death was confirmed by his family in a brief statement sent to TshisaLIVE.

The statement added that further details will follow in due time.

Tshola came to prominence with Sankomota, a group he cofounded and co-led with the late Frank Leepa. He came to SA in the early 80s where he was an immediate hit and broke all kinds of records.

Among his most successful songs were Papa, dedicated to his father, and Ho Lokile, dedicated to his late wife Monis Tshola.

Some of his latest projects involved working with Jub Jub on the song Ke Kopa Tswarelo, and Superman with rapper Cassper Nyovest.

read more

Rachel J’s family posts Mukupe violence pics, says ex-minister a serial philanderer

By Staff Reporter

THE family of Terrence Mukupe’s wife, Rachel J has released violence images of former Finance Deputy Minister on the musician and claiming the one time Harare MP was spreading malicious and defamatory statements about her.

Mukupe has been claiming Rachel J was involved in a love relationship with Malawian prophet Shepherd Bushiri.

The family finally came out guns blazing Tuesday exposing Mukupe’s alleged violent tendencies and disputing his claims.

The family also portrays Mukupe as a serial philanderer who has 10 children.

READ THE FULL STATEMENT BELOW:

Rachel J Family Press Statement-3.pdf

read more

Beyoncé’s father Mathew Knowles to be a guest judge on Idols SA

Johannesburg – One of South Africa’s most popular music competitions Idols SA, recently took to their Twitter to announce that the legendary Mathew Knowles will appear as a guest judge for this week’s finalists.

Mzansi Magic Dstv channel 161 which broadcasts the competition every Sunday, also announced the great news on their official site. Taking to their Twitter page Idols made the big announcement to their fans.

The Halo hitmaker’s father who landed in Mzansi earlier this week with his wife Gena and recently hosted the African leaders for change awards – also took to his Instagram to confirm the news of appearing as a guest judge on Idols,

“My wife, Gena, and I are having a great time in beautiful South Africa where I just hosted the African Leaders 4 Change Awards!” the 66-year-old talent manager captioned a snap of himself dressed in an all-black tux with his wife in a red dress to which he added.

“Next up…I’ll be a guest judge on Idols South Africa this weekend! Then I’m off to lecture at the University of Cape Town where I’ll be discussing my new book, The Emancipation of Slaves Through Music…”

www.channel24.co.za

read more

Tina Turner opens up about son’s suicide

Tina Turner is opening up about her son’s suicide.

Craig Turner, Tina’s eldest son, took his own life in July.

“I think Craig was lonely, that’s what I think really got him more than anything else,” Tina told CBS News.

Authorities found Craig dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his Studio City, Calif., home on July 3.

Tina would later scatter her son’s ashes in the Pacific Ocean.

“My saddest moment as a mother,” she tweeted alongside a picture of her dropping a rose into the water. “On Thursday, July 19, 2018, I said my final goodbye to my son, Craig Raymond Turner, when I gathered with family and friends to scatter his ashes off the coast of California. He was fifty-nine when he died so tragically, but he will always be my baby.”

Tina told CBS that she’s at peace with everything, and she thinks her son is too.

“I have pictures all around of him smiling,” she said. “I think I’m sensing that he’s in a good place. I really do.”

Craig was born in 1958 when his famous mother was 18 years old. His biological father is a musician named Raymond Hill. Tina said in her memoir that she never saw Raymond once she got pregnant. After Tina married Ike Turner, Ike adopted Craig as his own.

Through all the tragedy in her life — the alleged physical abuse at the hands of Ike, as well as the loss of a child — Tina says she’s finally happy as she lives out her years on Lake Zurich.

“I have everything,” she said. “When I sit at Lake Zurich in the house that I have, I am so serene. No problems. I had a very hard life. But I didn’t put blame on anything or anyone. I got through it, I lived through it with no blame. And I’m a happy person.”

www.msn.com

read more

Zimbabwe needs #MeToo moment, says Tsitsi Dangarembga

Thirty years after her iconic debut novel, Zimbabwean author Tsitsi Dangarembga is back with a final look at her heroine’s harrowing journey through the Mugabe years, hoping to spark debate about violence against women in her country.

Often praised as a leading feminist voice, Dangarembga shot to fame in 1988 with “Nervous Conditions”, a coming-of-age story about a girl’s battle to escape poverty and get an education. The book became an instant classic.

Since then, Dangarembga said little had changed for women in Zimbabwe.

“Women are still being silenced,” she told AFP at the Frankfurt book fair where she presented “This Mournable Body”, the final instalment in the trilogy featuring her bowed-but-not-broken protagonist Tambudzai.

As in real life, the book describes a country where women “suffer disproportionally” and abuse by men is so normal it barely registers as gender violence, Dangarembga said.

“Violence is very much part of the fabric of our society and I believe we have to address this… if we want to overcome it.”

Dangarembga, 59, said she has been trying to get a #MeToo campaign started in Zimbabwe to highlight the abuse and discrimination suffered by women, as the viral movement had yet to make waves in her country.

“I want to talk about my own story of abuse, which really robbed me of eight years of my life. I want to be one of the people in the #MeToo spots.”

But her efforts have floundered so far, she said, running up against a lack of funding, the reluctance of families to let their daughters speak out and a lack of support from civil society groups.

Mugabe ‘myth’ broken

With her trilogy, Dangarembga paints a bleak picture of the years under former president Robert Mugabe’s rule, touching on everything from racism to economic hardship and the traumas of post-colonialism and war.

Despite the sometimes desperate circumstances, Dangarembga said Tambudzai’s struggles to find employment or put food on the table were never devoid of hope.

“This is about your average Zimbabwean woman who is doing nothing special apart from surviving day to day,” she said.

“Sometimes one doesn’t do it elegantly, or very morally, but one does manage.”

“Nervous Conditions”, recently named by the BBC as one of 100 stories that shaped the world, and its 2006 sequel “The Book of Not” were both narrated in the first person – but the final book is written in the second person.

Dangarembga said she opted for the unconventional “you” point of view because some of Tambu’s experiences were “so emotional and painful” that she needed distance from her.

The story ends at the turn of the millennium, around the time that Dangarembga, who is also an award-winning filmmaker, moved back to Zimbabwe after living in England and Germany for years.

The author said she wanted to see with her own eyes the land seizures she heard about on the news.

She witnessed Mugabe’s historic ouster in a de facto coup last year but said she doesn’t “really see things changing in the post-Mugabe era”, as the country’s wrecked economy undergoes a fresh bout of chaos.

“I think that because of the way Mr Mugabe was removed from power, the government today has to be more circumspect… it needs to cultivate legitimacy.”

But with Mugabe’s downfall, “a myth was done away with”.

“Now people believe that things are possible, and that’s good.”

Dangarembga’s appearance at last week’s Frankfurt book fair came as African writers grabbed the spotlight at the annual event with a record 34 publishers from 19 countries on the continent showcasing their work.

“This is an exciting time to be an African author,” Dangarembga said, noting that there was also “a big rush” to make African films and television shows.

“These are where the new stories are that shed another light on our shared humanity. I think it’s beautiful the world is beginning to understand that.”

AFP

read more

Bill Cosby back in court for start of sentencing

Disgraced US television icon Bill Cosby will return to a Pennsylvania court on Monday to face sentencing for sexual assault, five months after his conviction at the first celebrity trial of the #MeToo era.

The frail 81-year-old — once beloved as “America’s Dad” — faces a maximum potential sentence of 30 years for drugging and molesting Andrea Constand at his Philadelphia mansion in January 2004.

He will be the first celebrity sentenced for a sex crime since the 2017 downfall of movie mogul Harvey Weinstein signaled the beginning of America’s public reckoning with sexual harassment.

The pioneering comedian and award-winning actor was found guilty April 26 on three counts of aggravated indecent assault, each punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Prosecutors will ask for him to be sent straight to prison, while his lawyers are likely to appeal for him to remain under house arrest pending the outcome of any appeals, celebrity website TMZ reported.

His legal team will likely argue for leniency given his age and frailty. Cosbymaintains that he is now legally blind.

The final decision rests with Judge Steven O’Neill, who will impose the sentence after a hearing that could stretch across two days in Norristown, a down-at-heel town just outside Philadelphia.

The reputation and career of the once towering figure in late 20th century American popular culture — the first black actor to grace primetime US television — is already in tatters.

Predator assessment

Once adored by millions for his defining role on “The Cosby Show,” he has been confined to his Philadelphia area mansion on a $1 million bail for nearly three years, fitted with a GPS monitor and subjected to a violent sexual predator assessment after his guilty conviction.

As soon as the jury returned their verdict, prosecutors demanded that his bail be revoked, arguing he was a flight risk — but O’Neill refused to “lock him up right now.”

“He doesn’t have a plane, you asshole!” yelled Cosby in his first public outburst and loss of control after chief prosecutor Kevin Steele claimed he could flee anywhere in the world by private jet.

Around 60 women, many of them onetime aspiring actresses and models, publicly branded him a calculating, serial predator who plied victims with sedatives and alcohol to bed them over four decades.

The case involving Constand, a Canadian former basketball player and Temple University employee turned massage therapist, was the only one that happened recently enough to prosecute.

O’Neill has refused to allow additional Cosbyaccusers to give statements at his sentencing, although it is not clear if the five others who testified at trial will in fact appear.

Cosbyis now on his third lead lawyer, Joseph Green, since his arrest in December 2015, having parted ways with celebrity advocate Tom Mesereau after the guilty verdict.

Cosby’s first trial ended in June 2017 with a hung jury, hopelessly deadlocked after 52 hours of deliberations.

AFP

read more
1 2 3 6
Page 1 of 6