close

‘I am still President’, says Mugabe

By Staff Reporter

OUSTED President Robert Mugabe has thrown the cat among the pigeons after he reportedly told a group of foreign journalists at his private residence in Harare that he was forcibly removed from his job.

Mugabe was forced to resign November last year after the military had deployed tanks in the streets of Harare ostensibly to pursue top level “criminals” among the then President’s inner circle who were allegedly abusing their proximity to the once powerful leader to plunder the nation’s resources.

The 94-year-old veteran politician has maintained a curious silence since his ouster and has not responded even as he was being exalted as an icon by the new Emmerson Mnangagwa government.

Mugabe appeared only recently when he gave audience to what was a visiting AU Commission chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat.

He reportedly told the AU envoy he was forced out of his job.

The stubborn ex-leader has since thrown his weight behind a new political outfit, the National Patriotic Front which is being led by former cabinet minister Ambrose Mutinhiri, eliciting anger from Mnangagwa and the new Zanu PF administration.

But Thursday’s events signal a new detour in the politics of a country known for bitter conflict especially during election time.

Staff Reporter

The author Staff Reporter

Leave a Response