Zimbabwe this Wednesday marks exactly two years since the country recorded its first ever Covid-19 induced death which happened to be that of once talented broadcaster Zororo Makamba.
Since the time, the country’s death toll has surged to 5 429, according to details of a post-cabinet media briefing by Information Minister Monica Mutsvangwa in Harare Tuesday.
The statistics were as of 21 March 2022.
Makamba, then 30 years of age, was the second person to test positive for the virus in Zimbabwe after returning from New York nearly two weeks before.
The US, at the time, had virtually become the epicentre of the dreaded disease which had been linked to China as its origin.
Zororo was the son of Zimbabwean businessman and Zanu PF politician James Makamba.
Since his death, Covid-19 has gone on to claim the lives of thousands of Zimbabweans, among them prominent politicians such as cabinet ministers Perrance Shiri, Sibusiso Moyo and Joel Biggie Matiza.
In her remarks Tuesday, Minister Mutsvangwa said as of March 21, 2022, the country’s cumulative Covid-19 cases stood at 244 685, with 234 895 recoveries and 5 429 deaths.
The recovery rate was 96%, with 4 361 active cases having been recorded.
Mutsvangwa said the number of new Covid-19 cases decreased to 2 004 during the week under review, compared to 3 306 recorded the previous week.
This represented a 39% decrease.
“This was an indication that strengthened government implementation of all public health and social measures during the past few weeks in collaboration with all stakeholders is paying off,” she said, adding, “The number of people in need of hospitalisation for Covid-19 continues to decrease, with the country’s bed occupancy rate declining to 2.3% during the week under review from 3.0% the previous week. There were no admissions to the intensive care unit.”